- ticket title
- Punjab is all set to bypass Supreme Court ruling on ban on liquor sale
- SC rejected CS Karnan’s interim bail plea
- Breaking: Former Calcutta High Court Judge CS Karnan got arrested
- Bail Extended: Subrata Roy has to deposit the remaining installment till June 5
- Allahabad HC give 2 weeks time to UP govt. to file their reply in Prajapati case
Last year, Supreme Court directed States and Union Territories to not to grant licences for sale of liquor at national and state highways across the country, court observed that drunken driving has been the main reason for the plenty of road accidents.
Some of the states bypassed Supreme court’s order in passive way by denotifying hundreds of kilometres of highways as local roads. Among these, Punjab has became the first State to make the amendment for allowing liquor sale near highways.
The amendment Bill, 2017, relating to Punjab Excise Act, 1914, was put forth in the ongoing Budget session of the State Assembly for enactment. On June 19, cabinet gave the nod for the draft amendment Bill, 2017.
Enactment of above mentioned amendment bill would debar the hotels, restaurants and clubs situated on the national and state highway from the Supreme Court ruling.