- ticket title
- Law Mantra invites application for Research Associates; Apply before 15th Nov, 2017
- UPES Litigation Workshop on Criminal Law: Practice, Procedure and Compliance [Dec 11 – 15, Dehradun]: Register by Nov 11
- Good Governance Yatra Travel Program for Change Agents [Dec 15-23, Delhi, UP, Bihar]: Apply by Oct 22
- Call for Papers Two Day National Seminar on Women’s Rights Issues &Challenges (Nov 8 & 9) Submit by Oct 24
- Supreme Court: App-Based Transport Service Providers Like Uber, Ola, Redbus Needed To Be Regulated To Ensure Safety Of Women Commuters.
Congress chief whip Shailesh Manubhai Parmar has challenged the Election Commission’s notification dated: 1 August by filing a writ petition before Hon’ble Supreme Court, as per the notification, option of NOTA i.e. None of the Above will be introduced to the voting in this year Rajya Sabha’s election.
Petition states that the Election Commission’s notification violates of Article 80 (4) of the Indian Constitution, the Representation of People’s Act 1951, the Conduct of Election Rules 1961, and Predecents set by Supreme Court in its two decisions as according to the decisions, “NOTA cannot be made applicable in the indirect elections like that to the Rajya Sabha, it can only be applied to direct and general elections and members of respective parties duty bound to vote as per direction of the party to which they are affiliated.”
Petitioner contends that work of Election Commission is to ensure free and fair elections not to issue the notification which byepasses the constitution mandate, statutes and precedents, issuing such notification amounts to grave travesty.