- ticket title
- IMS Unison University’s 1st National Client Counseling Competition [November 24-25, Dehradun]: Register by Nov 6
- Court passed the demolition order of parking lot within one kilometer of Taj Mahal
- SC insinuated to review its earlier order pertaining to playing of National Anthem in cinemas
- Law Mantra invites application for Research Associates; Apply before 15th Nov, 2017
- UPES Litigation Workshop on Criminal Law: Practice, Procedure and Compliance [Dec 11 – 15, Dehradun]: Register by Nov 11
Accused named, Ram Kumar Sivare has been convicted by lower court in a murder case and hence, award of rigorous life imprisonment given to him by the court. This was confirmed by Chattisgarh HC.
Senior advocate Parmanand Katara, appearing for the accused approach Supreme Court, he contended that the judgement pronounced by the courts below was “unconstitutional and ultra-vires” as penal and procedural laws do not empower them to qualify the life sentence with the term “rigorous”.
He said that Chattisgarh High Court has made a violation of Article 21 and 14 of the Constitution.
Today, Supreme Court has agreed to examine the question whether courts are statutorily empowered to make life imprisonments tougher for the convicts by adding “rigorous” to life sentence as the law does not said for the same.